Monday, October 14, 2013

Are you grateful?

Because I am today.
I was walking home from a temple recommend interview with my bishop. It was a little cold, and I had some negative thoughts rattling around in my head. I was basically just a grumpy woman--ladies reading, you might be able to read between the lines there. And sympathize.

I was listening to some Mormon Tabernacle Choir and starting to feel the peace in the words, when the song "There is Sunshine in my Soul Today" came on. My fingers fumbled to skip it, because sometimes I don't really like the "Mormon Sunshine Hymns" as I call them,

But I stopped. And listened.

And I felt a warmth spread from inside and blossom across my face into a smile.

"When Jesus shows His smiling face,
There is sunshine in my soul."

Seeing Jesus's smiling face; that WOULD make me smile.
The view while I was walking

Today as a family, we had an impromptu singing of some spiritual choral songs. It's my favorite way to worship, and to be honest, I love the sound of my voice ringing out. I am self conscious when singing, but when I'm at home, singing about God, all inhibitions are gone.

We started singing a song called "Pilgrim Song", one of my all time favorites. My grandpa was sitting by himself and unable to gather around the piano like everyone else, so I sat with him.

I think it's because of my familiarity with Aaron that I felt very comfortable taking his papery, frail hand and holding it in mine. Even stroking it.

During the song, my grandpa leaned in, and said something like, "I can't wait until I get to join my wife!"
My heart ached for him.
So bitter sweet.

Listening to his frail voice that was struggling to hold the notes, 
his voice that had been strong and ringing years ago; hearing him sing the words, 


"My soul now sits and sings and practices its wings, and contemplates the hour, when the messenger shall say, "Come quit this house of clay, and with bright angels tower!"

Knowing how badly he wants it,
                                             believes it, 
                                                         and knowing the glory that's waiting for him...


I couldn't help but cry. I couldn't sing anymore. 


Tears streamed down my face. I truly felt like I was in a celestial moment. I could see my sweet Grandpa and the plan that surrounded him, and the joy he would feel when it was the time for him to pass on, the moment he's so desperately holding on for. I could see the piece of the puzzle that old age and death plays in the Plan of Salvation. I saw the JOY that it brings.
I was surrounded by my family members and let their voices wash over me, singing with all of their faith and testimonies that filled the room and warmed me. It was ringing with their joy and praise.
We are all going to live together, forever.

Aaron noticed my tears as I sat behind everyone on the couch, like I knew he would. Without saying anything or losing his place in the song, he walked over and put his arms around me, then finished the song by my side.

             Thanks, Aaron. I'm glad you were there in that moment.


Guys, the Church isn't just true: the GOSPEL is true. This work, this goodness, this obedience is of God. It's the same one that started with Adam and Eve and that was restored to my ancestors hundreds of years ago.

~Karen

"Perhaps you think me wild, or as simple as a child
I am a child of glory
I am born from above, my soul is filled with love,
I love to tell the story

My soul doth long to go where I may fully know
The glory of my Savior
And as I pass along
I'll sing the Christian song

I'm going to live forever."

~ Pilgrim Song


Found this picture of Tristan (my nephew) and I on my mom's phone.


Silly baby. Go ahead and blur the picture, why don't you.

3 comments:

  1. Karen, everything you write is so lovely. I bet you made Grandpa's night, sitting with him like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was amazing! I loved that, Karen. That made me cry. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete