Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Let's talk the talk...

I've already walked the walk. I just didn't tell anyone :)

I miss him so much.

We both cried when it was time to go, when it was the last time I'd see him for two years. His tears hurt me much more than mine.

His name's Jake.

And I sure do love him :)

I didn't know I did for a long, long time.
All I knew was that he was a sweet, kind, funny boy who always saw the best in me. I started to trust him, timidly at first, and then very much as time passed and I saw him keeping that trust.

We met in Seminary over a year ago. My teacher wanted us to have a "texting buddy";  a classmate that were assigned to be friends with and send spiritual thoughts to daily. 
He instructed us to pray, try and seek guidance from the Spirit, and then ask someone to be our texting buddy.

I was in a panic. My mind was whirling...

1. Although I love people, I hate situations like this. C'mon, I don't like people THAT much...
2. What if I didn't feel the Spirit? What if I accidentally chose the wrong person and missed my "texting buddy" of destiny?
3. I hate this class.

I prayed. I timidly asked someone to be my texting buddy.
I waited with baited breath...
                                                                                               and was promptly rejected.

Sorry, they wrote, I'm going in another direction.
it was like a bad break up or something!! 

I wasn't listening to the Spirit! My face burned with shame and a sense of desperation came over me. I watched everyone being paired up and prospective "buddies" disappearing.

Suddenly a piece of paper was passed to me. 

"Will you be my texting buddy?"
"YES!!" I scrawled hastily without recognizing the name. 

I felt like I was going to cry.

We were told to move by our buddies. I found myself sitting across from a boy in a t-shirt and open expression.

I tried to move past my left-over embarrassment and a dragging day to make broken small talk.

"Oh, you haven't studied the Book of Mormon in Seminary yet, have you," I began. I hadn't seen him around before and assumed he was a sophomore. Sophomores hadn't studied the Book of Mormon in Seminary yet.  "You'll love it! It was my favorite year."

The boy, whose name I'd already forgotten, looked at my quizzically.

"I'm a senior."

WHAM.

"Oh...I'm sorry..."

That boy was Jake.







No comments:

Post a Comment