Wednesday, November 13, 2013

9 blessings for a terrible day

To be honest, it was the hardest day I've had in a long,
                                                                                  long time.
I felt utterly defeated.
My head hung low on my chest as I trudged home from campus in the dark, and as soon as I walked through my apartment door, I broke into sobs.

I sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. My heart was just breaking from discouragement, and I just felt so broken and kicked down.

Now, several hours later, I'm calmer.
My heart still feels a little tender, but instead of feeling cursed and bitter,
                        I feel blessed.

I want to say some tender mercies that I'm grateful for; tender mercies that completely turned this situation around to one where I could feel so much love from everyone around me and healing.

1. Aaron




Thank you so much.
I love you.

2. Tori and Jessica



I can't really find the words,
so I'll just have to leave it at that.

3. Twinkle lights

They remind me of my childhood room 
They make me feel warm.
I just love them.

4. Sean and Steve; Aaron's roommates and my friends.
               They're always there to help me with whatever I need,
whether that's grocery shopping,
making me laugh,
donating their Parmesan cheese so I can make a chicken recipe (Steve),
picking me up from work,
rearranging their schedules to drive me to the doctor's,
taking me to Red Robin,
sending sassy snapchats,
asking me if I'm ok,
or looking through Tori's bridal magazine and discussing wedding dresses (Sean).

I am so grateful for all the little kindnesses they show me. They make a world of difference.
Sean loves the Biebster


Steve Angus. The wittiest, fanciest redneck I know :)

5. Chocolate cupcakes
I get out of bed this morning = REWARD!
Then, later tonight, I saw one lying on the counter top through my tears.
And things got just a little better.

6. Fall
I just look up at the beauty and remember,
Oh yeah...
God loves me!

7. My very own copy of the scriptures.
I am so 
satisfied
every time I flip through, 
see the markings,
and run my fingers over the smooth pages.
I love the stories; I love the words;
I love the peace.

PLUS
a hilarious Book of Mormon teacher,
who likes to tell me just how fabulous of a person I am,
speaks softly, humbly, and with the Spirit,
and who is constantly conspiring to help all of his students find their "eternal companion".

8. Crying
I'm so glad
                              that I can cry.
I'm so glad that my heart is still tender enough
that I can still feel pain.
I'm so glad I have a soft heart.
I'm so glad I can cry.
Crying 
makes room for the healing of the Atonement.


9. Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ
Sometimes, especially on nights like tonight,
my heart is just filled to the brim,
bursting,
hurting and bruised,
and I can't do much more in prayer besides crying out,
pleading for some help
some relief.
They heard me.
They sent me all of these things, so that even in a moment of intense discouragement and sadness,
I could not doubt for a moment that they loved me.


I am so grateful and devoted to Them

Life is hard, believe me, I know.
But I'm not giving up,
and neither should you.
God is surrounding you with blessings. So many ways he is trying to tell you, all around you, whisper...

I love you, my child.

Be grateful for the hurt,
because it means you can still feel,
and that you care.
The bitter makes the sweet.
Keep going.
I know He's looking out for you, just like He's looking out for me.

~ Karen

All the pictures are mine, except for the cupcake, crying, and twinkle lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment