Friday, September 20, 2013

5 minutes

Five minutes to write, and then I gotta go do something else...
...like get ready for my date with that one boy?
...hm, probably more like take a nap. The SECOND one today!!
Yeah.
            Nap.
Thoughts...
sometimes it feels like thoughts just clutter my head, bouncing around. And then I want to write.
I wanted to be a writer when I was little.
Did you know that?
I learned to type when I was seven so I could write stories on the computer. My first story was about a dog named Nick and a cat (whose name escapes me) sneakily stealing some sausages from a cart.
Basically it had no plot. 
But I was just bursting with pride at my jumbled story. Side note: every character in every one of my stories was named Nick for about five years.
I was completely devoted to reading and writing, and the encouragement from my teachers made me feel like I would conquer the world. I would turn in 20 page stories in fourth grade every measly writing assignment. I remember my teachers standing in the hallway, holding up my story with my gawky handwriting and saying to another adult, when they thought I wasn't looking, "Did you know my student wrote this??"

I was so sure I was going to do that.

It was my dream.

Now, I've aged. My dreams changed from being an Indian-->Astronaut-->Author-->Concert Pianist-->Artist-->...

...to being a what?

It's not that I don't think I'll have a successful career; no, I'm sure that'll come.
But, I think whats come to constitute as my dream has changed.

What's my dream?
What do I hope for?
                                  Yearn for?

I don't think my dream will be fulfilled in a career.
No, I don't want to sum myself up and place all my hopes and expectations in something like that.
Too risky.
But what do I hope for?

I hope 
for hugs from a husband after he comes home from work. I hope for tiny, sticky hands slapping the counter-top and a messy living room cluttered with toys. I hope to have a home bursting with music and warm with loud laughter.
I hope to teach my children to sing the songs my parents taught me.
I hope to teach them the stories from the Book of Mormon that I've always loved.

I hope my hair will turn gray, but that my husband and I will still hold hands as we walk. I hope our hands grow wrinkled together.

Those are great dreams, yeah?
But...
....even they might not come true.
I know that all blessings will be given to me, but even righteous desires might not be fulfilled in this lifetime.

So.

What is my dream?

I dream 
of seeing the face of the Savior who saved me. I dream of recognizing His light. I dream of meeting my older sister and being able to truly speak with my Grandmother for the first time. I dream of a world of light where glory rises with the Sun. I dream of the peace and joy that will never leave me. I dream, most of all, to look into my Father's face and see His pride in me shining in His face. I dream that He will say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."
                 I dream of singing for Him.
                    I think He'd like that.

That dream will be fulfilled. That is what I work for.
That is what I live for.

Enos 1: 27 And I soon go to the place of my arest, which is with my Redeemer; for I know that in him I shall brest. And I rejoice in the day when my cmortal shall put on dimmortality, and shall stand before him; then shall I see his face with pleasure, and he will say unto me: Come unto me, ye blessed, there is a place prepared for you in the emansions of my Father. Amen.

Oh yes, that took longer than five minutes.



2 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Karen. Did you write this in 5 minutes? I can't write a post in less than 2 hours :) I think it's good to hope for good things--love, family, children, etc.--in this life, but recognize that not all blessings are fully realized until the next life. But you can always count on the Savior's love and help, regardless of what does happen here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really lovely, Karen! And beautifully written, too. Don't worry about hanging some hopes for the future on this life, too--the Lord has something wonderful in store for you now, as well as later.

    PS I think whatever career you choose, it should start with the letter A. It's a trend...

    ReplyDelete